Firefighters were called out to Harborough’s Welland Park Academy last night (Thursday) after a fire started in a school kitchen.
Two fire crews from the town’s station attended Welland Park Road at 7.19pm.
Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel while tackling the flames.
The suspected cause of the fire was an electrical short circuit and 20 per cent of the kitchen was damaged, according to the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service daily report log.
Smoke could be seen coming from the building.
Eyewitness Michael Whelan, of Welland Park Road, said: “I could see smoke coming from the rear of the building.
“One of the staff members from the school ran to the front gate and was stopping people from going into the car park.
“I could see the fire crews going into the back of the building from Welland Park.”
Story by Alex Blackwell
Follow Alex on Twitter, @BlackwellHarb.