Parents concerned their children could miss out on a place at Kibworth High School under plans to convert it to an 11-16 school have had some of their fears allayed.
The school had initially proposed to give priority to children living near the school under the plan, which would see intakes reduced by about 100 pupils each year.
It left parents of children at St Cuthbert’s Primary School in Great Glen concerned their youngsters would fall into a “black-hole” as they struggled to find a secondary school. A petition was formed as the proposals were angrily protested.
But the high school has now amended those plans following feedback in its initial consultation.
Children who live in the villages Fleckney, Kibworth and Great Glen and who go to those schools will now be given priority over those living in the area but not attending the schools.
If there are more applications than places available, governors will draw up a list based on other criteria outlined in the school’s consulation.
The high school teaches children aged 11 to 14, with most pupils going on to complete GCSEs at Robert Smyth Academy in Harborough.
But falling intakes means it is expecting to have just 600 pupils on its roll next year – 150 below the 750 capacity.
Instead, the school wants to teach students from 11 to 16, with about 150 pupils in each of the five year groups.
It says the move – set for 2015 as part of a bid to convert to academy status – would attract more funding.
Headteacher Angela Edwards told parents in a letter earlier this year that the key reason for the proposal was to raise overall standards.
The consultation will run until January 5.
For more information visit www.kibworthhigh.leics.sch.uk.