Mail Memories: Looking Back - December 19 to 25

We delve into the Mail's archives

We delve into the Mail's archives

A look at what was making headlines in Harborough ten, 25 and 50 years ago this week (December 19 to 25).


Harborough couple Alan and Yvonne Smith were perplexed when blue rain dropped on their home in Summers Way.

Harborough District Council’s environmental services team appeared to have the answer though - a crystal chemical used to clean toilets and which was stored at a depot in Farndon Road had likely been disturbed, they said.

The crystals were blown away from the site and dissolved, falling as blue raindrops.

St Dionysius Church Hall was reopened after a six-month closure following a community fundraising drive which saw £120,000 raised.

The completion of a £1.4m building saw Stoneygate School move to a single site in Great Glen.

It had operated out of a building in London Road, Leicester as well as one in the village.


A 103-year-old great-grandmother, Ethel Lee, was given a glider flight for her birthday.

It followed some interesting exploits for Mrs Lee in recent years, including a trip in a hot air balloon aged 97 and a cross channel flight in Concord for her 100th birthday.

More than 400 blankets to help victims of an earthquake in Armenia poured into Harborough’s Roman Way Day Centre.

The salmonella scare was causing problems for Harborough-based firm Welland Valley Eggs.

The firm warned jobs could go after a 75 per cent slump in sales following a wanring issued by health minister Edwina Currie.

Policeman Colin Garbett of Kibworth was commended for his part in dealing with a mob in Leicester city centre.


Theddingworth School was to close, it was announced.

There were 18 children of school age in the village, who would be educated in Lubenham instead.

An appeal was issued for someone to look after 12 feet of iron railings that were to be removed from the National Provincial bank, which was in St Mary’s Road.

Leiocester Museum had no room for them but hope to find someone in Harborough to look after them.

There were queues around the corner after a new wine shop, Foster’s wine Merchants, opened a new store in The Square.

The business was offering customers a free half-bottle of Spanish Sauterne but ran out and the owner had to drive to Lincoln to get more.




Back to the top of the page